Thursday, December 30, 2010

Healing from Radiation

Strider is continuing to heal from the radiation treatments.  I have attached a photo of his healing nose.  I haven't made him open his mouth to see the burn there, but he is eating more enthusiastically, so I assume it is healing as well.  He is still only eating canned food from my hand, as it appears to be uncomfortable for him to pick up the food himself.  So... for anyone ever faced with feeding canned dog food by hand, let me highly recommend Prescription Diet g/d.  It has little odor and is almost solid and easy to handle.  I had been feeding him Prescription Diet i/d, but it is smellier and squishier, for lack of a better word.  Our vet here suggested we try the g/d while I was hand-feeding, and it has been a blessing.  Hopefully, Strider won't get bored with it.  We are out of leftover turkey, which he also ate enthusiastically.  When he was sick from the chemo and wasn't even eating canned food, I was boiling chicken and he would usually eat that.  For some reason, he has refused to eat hamburger, which used to be a favorite treat.

He is still fairly low energy and spends most of his time napping and lying around.  The photo shows him being annoyed with me for disturbing a nap.  I am hopeful that as his nose and mouth heal, he will feel better and have more energy.  Of course, the next round of chemo is in a few days, so that will be a new challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment