Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Chemo Delayed Again

Last week, I emailed the attending vet at Auburn some photos of Strider's nose and he decided to postpone chemo by another week to allow his nose to heal more.  Below is a picture of what he looks like today.  He is continuing to lose hair on his nose, but I don't know if that is from chemo or the radiation burn.

He is eating canned dog food very enthusiastically now and is enjoying a daily triple cheeseburger from Wendy's.  I'm sure the vets would not approve, but I haven't asked their opinion.  It makes Strider very happy, and that's what counts for now.  I know a lot of people believe in going to an organic, natural diet when their dog is diagnosed, but I'm working from a more emotional place right now, and the cheeseburger makes him happy.

He is still very low energy, so I think I am going to take him to our local vet tomorrow and ask about another blood test to test his iron level.  They were going to recheck at Auburn this week, but since we delayed that trip, it didn't happen.  I was talking to a physician friend today who is a dog person, and when I said Strider didn't have much energy, she immediately speculated that he was anemic from the chemo.  I'd like to have that checked before we go down for chemo next Monday.

It is still hard dealing with the fact that he felt fine prior to treatment, and has not felt well due to the treatment for several weeks now.  He is also behaving in some very different ways since he hasn't felt well.  He sleeps in our basement by himself instead of in my son's bed, and he seems to want to get away from people, whereas before, he would follow me from room to room.  I always had a footrest, no matter where I sat, and I miss his constant presence.  I find myself seeking him out during the day, just to spend a little time with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment